The House That Wisdom Builds Sermon Series
Proverbs 24:3 Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established:
It is Built to Exemplify
Intro: The house that wisdom builds is a house that is a testimony. It is a witness. It makes a statement. It has an impact on those that see it. It will build a house that will have an effect on people that see it, and it will impact their life.
- Psalm 112:10 The wicked shall see it, and be grieved: he shall gnash with his teeth, and melt away: the desire of the wicked shall perish.
A. It will Exemplify the Fear of God – vs. 1
- Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
- Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
B. It will Exemplify the Favor of God
- 1 – blessed is the man
- 4 – unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness
- 9 – his horn shall be exalted with honour
C. It will Exemplify Fervency for God
- Proverbs 9:1 Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
The hewing out of seven pillars demonstrates a dedication, commitment and a strong desire.
Those pillars were no doubt made of stone, or granite.
Took time and effort.
Not something you would undertake half-heartedly or on a whim.
The number seven is a type of completion and perfection.
Wisdom doesn’t stop until the job is complete; until it’s right!!
Solomon is an excellent example of this type of wisdom.
Solomon’s fervency for God was exemplified in:
- II Chron. 1:10 in his prayer for wisdom and knowledge.
- II Chron. 2:1 when he determined to build a house for the name of the Lord.
- II Chron. 3 and 4 by the expense of the construction of the Temple.
- II Chron. 5 by the installation of the Ark of God.
- II Chron. 6:1-11 by the sermon that he preached.
- II Chron. 6:12-42 by the prayer that he prayed.
- II Chron. 7 by his dedication of the Temple.
BUT – when the Queen of Sheba showed up in chapter 9, his love for God was exemplified in several ways.
I. Exemplified by your Abode – vs. 3 …and the house that he had built.
Is your home a testimony – a witness – of your fear of God, your fervency for God?
Is there anything in your home that would detract from your impact on unbelievers or struggling Christians?
II. Exemplified by your Appetite – vs. 4 …and the meat of his table
What are you eating?
What does your diet consist of?
What are your children eating in the home?
I’m not talking about physical food, but spiritual (or carnal) food.
What kind of diet are you living on in your house?
What kind of TV programs do you watch?
What kind of movies to you look at?
What kind of music is playing in your home?
What is on the walls? In the closets? On the computers?
- Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
- Psalms 112:1 Praise ye the LORD. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.
III. Exemplified by your Attendance – vs. 4 …and the attendance of his ministers
The word attendance here is the ministry; the duties, the labor that was going on within his house.
What is your ministry? What is your duty?
What are you and your household doing to demonstrate your fervency for God?
When the world looks at your family, does your home exemplify a fervency for God?
IV. Exemplified by your Apparel – vs. 4
Does the apparel of those within your home exemplify a fear of God?
I’m not sure what they had on in this verse, but it was an overwhelming testament of Solomon’s wisdom!
Your clothes say it for you!
What you wear is saying something to those around you.
V. Exemplified by your Ascent to the House of God – vs. 4
Again, there was something special about the way that Solomon went to church that impressed the queen.
It was something to behold.
It was something special and very significant.
She was overwhelmed by the way and the manner that Solomon went to the Temple.
QUESTION: Would the way you attend church exemplify to the world a life of wisdom and fear of God?
Would it testify to them of a fervent spirit?
In Psalm 112:10, it says that the wicked shall see it and be grieved.
In II Chron. 9:3, 4 it says that when she saw the house that wisdom had built, there was no more spirit in her.